Header Image Header Image

In Brief

Next Service:

11th December at 10:30 am.

Holy Communion
(Third Sunday in Advent )

The next village event will be Parish Council Meeting on 7th December 2022 at 7:00 PM in The Old School Centre, Manor Road

Diocesan Magazine

Click here to visit the Exeter Diocese website

A link to the magazine is available on the Home page.

Safeguarding

View our Safeguarding policy

Diocese of Exeter Safeguarding contacts

Recent Images Highslide JS

The village Remembrance events, organised by St Paul's Church and held on 13th November 2022, were well attended. Wreaths were laid on behalf of Landkey Parish Council by Cllr Richard Beer (r), on behalf of St Paul's Church by Peter Soper (c) and on behalf of the Cornish family by Julia Jenkins (l). Julia is the niece of Charles Cornish whose name appears among those of the fallen on the war memorial. Image courtesy of Charles Waldron 13th November 2022.
Highslide JS
Birthdays of congregation members falling in the current month were celebrated at our service on 6th November 2022. Two birthdays had a zero in them, but I will be polite and not divulge more details! Image courtesy of Charles Waldron 13th November 2022.
More Images

In Brief

Next Service:

11th December at 10:30 am.

Holy Communion
(Third Sunday in Advent )

The next village event will be Parish Council Meeting on 7th December 2022 at 7:00 PM in The Old School Centre, Manor Road

Diocesan Magazine

Click here to visit the Exeter Diocese website

A link to the magazine is available on the Home page.

Safeguarding

View our Safeguarding policy

Diocese of Exeter Safeguarding contacts

Recent Images Highslide JS

The village Remembrance events, organised by St Paul's Church and held on 13th November 2022, were well attended. Wreaths were laid on behalf of Landkey Parish Council by Cllr Richard Beer (r), on behalf of St Paul's Church by Peter Soper (c) and on behalf of the Cornish family by Julia Jenkins (l). Julia is the niece of Charles Cornish whose name appears among those of the fallen on the war memorial. Image courtesy of Charles Waldron 13th November 2022.
Highslide JS
Birthdays of congregation members falling in the current month were celebrated at our service on 6th November 2022. Two birthdays had a zero in them, but I will be polite and not divulge more details! Image courtesy of Charles Waldron 13th November 2022.
More Images
×

Mission Community

We cooperate in matters of worship with two other churches and one chapel located within just a few miles' distance from Landkey. The term that we use for our group of churches is a "Mission Community" and the main purpose of this grouping is to share the resources of our priests.

All of the churches in our Mission Community welcome new worshippers, whether they be established residents, new arrivals to the area or holiday-makers.

St James' Church, Swimbridge

St James' Church, Swimbridge

Swimbridge

The Church of St James the Apostle is located in the centre of Swimbridge and its tall, lead-covered spire is immediately noticeable as one descends on the road which leads into the village from Barnstaple, which lies just four miles to the west.

The church's origins date back over 1000 years, with the presence of a chapel here recorded in the Domesday book in 1086. The oldest part is the tower and the timbers which support the spire have been dated to c.1310.

Despite its medieval ancestry, St James has only been a parish church since 1866 and its first vicar was the sporting parson, The Reverend Jack Russell (1795-1883). In addition to his clerical calling, Revd. Russell became renowned for breeding the strain of terrier dog which eventually bore his name.

St James' is also well known for its uncommonly lavish furnishings. There is a fine carved limestone pulpit which dates from c.1490 and a spectacular Rood Screen which was installed in c.1500 and is 44 feet wide.

Contact: Treasurer Janet Patton 01271 831065

Website: www.swimbridgeparishchurch.org(Opens in a new window)

Gunn

The Chapel of the Holy Name is situated in the small, peaceful village of Gunn which lies about five miles east of Barnstaple.

It is a relatively new place of worship, being built during the 48-year incumbency of the Revd. Jack Russell. It was opened for divine service by Dr Temple, the then bishop of the diocese, on 7th August 1873.

The building is constructed of local stone and is of a simple design, being a single room containing a nave and a sanctuary with an adjoining meeting room. A beautiful east-end stained-glass window depicts "Faith, Hope and Love".

The chapel functions as a "daughter" church to St James the Apostle, Swimbridge and its congregation typically meets twice each month.

Contact: Deputy warden: Bryan Hawkins 01271 830597.

West Buckland

The village of West Buckland lies on high ground between Barnstaple and South Molton and the church of St Peter is its most imposing feature.

The list of rectors of St Peter goes back to 1261 but only the west tower and the priest's door remain of the original building. A Victorian church was constructed in the 1860s and this is buttressed to the medieval tower.

West Buckland is known both locally and further afield for the thriving private school of the same name which is located near the village.

Contacts: Churchwarden: Pat Witheridge 01598 710512

St Michael, East Buckland

St Michael’s Church is in the middle of East Buckland , a tiny hamlet, on a hill and commanding a view down the valley towards Charles Bottom, with Exmoor and the ‘Bamfylde Clump’ in the distance. This famous copse gave its name to West Buckland School in ‘To Serve Them All My Days’ – the novel written by R F Delderfield about the School and the First World War, in memory of his time here as a student.

The hamlet consists of about 20 homesteads and some scattered farmsteads and is within the parish of West Buckland.  The church is the traditional place of worship for West Buckland School, which is just half a mile away. The School Chaplain takes most of the services.

Although East Buckland is a small rural community, St. Michael's Church is supported by the local public school and has strong links with its neighbouring churches.

Churchwarden: Diane Tearall 01769 579031

Source for information on these churches: "The Pilgrim's Guide to Devon's Churches" (Cloister Books) and St James' website.